September 16, 2008

The Offensive Textbook: Week One

So I have embarked upon a "professional" masters degree in Industrial Relations and Human Resources this fall. Perhaps they should rename the program to "Masters of Industrial Relations and Flakey, Linear Thought." While I know that the IR side of things will be useful, I am seriously underwhelmed by HR and other similar courses like Organizational Behaviour. Actually, I'm often more offended than anything. The most unsettling aspect of these courses is that they discuss absolutely everything in monetary terms. For instance, I read this morning about the fiscal "Cost of Sexual Harassment" to a company. Yikes. 

This has, however, inspired me to start up a weekly feature: The Offensive Textbook

To start things off, a thesis I clipped out of the article I'm reading for my Human Resources Management class:


Yes, that's right. Not only am I learning how to "manage diversity," but also why I ought to care in the first place. The answer to this question? Well, because it will make me money, of course! 

No comments: