July 29, 2010

When did Girlfriend Girls Take Over the World?

Have you watched the trailer for "Eat, Pray, Love"? Now, I don't think the movie looks bad per se, it's just the story that I don't find that interesting. Now, I know it's a memoir, but at the end of the day, it's a memoir about a Girlfriend Girl. A Girlfriend Girl is what my friends and I call a certain breed of serial monogamist chick who doesn't really have any identifying characteristics besides the fact that she is "so and so's girlfriend." These girls typically spend all their time with their boyfriend and his friends, and they typically talk more about their boyfriend and his needs than their own, even from a very young age.

I don't like Girlfriend Girls. Why? Because They ARE BORING. These are girls who live their lives through men. And sure, the point of "Eat, Pray, Love" according to what the trailer represents is that a girlfriend girl learns how NOT to be a girlfriend girl and develops a sense of self. I think that's great for her, but really, why do we NEED stories like this? The fact that a book about a chick learning to find herself after living her life through men became a hit that resonated with so many women out there scares me. Sure, I know a fair number of Girlfriend Girls, but are there even more out there than I thought?

Where has feminism gotten us if there are STILL so many Girlfriend Girls in the world? I wonder....

1 comment:

Lux said...

Amen.

I think there's some weird class stuff going on too...

The book/movie seems to suggest that "finding" and "empowering" oneself is reserved for people who can afford to take a year off and spend tens of thousands of dollars traveling the world. Sure, she posits herself as living an ascetic lifestyle (e.g. traveling with only a few articles of clothing, meditating) but a)she travels the world trying to consume as much as she can (e.g. carbs, men) and b) only women of extreme privilege could afford to do what she did.

Actually, even SHE couldn't afford to do it. The publishing company funded the entire trip, as she had secured the book deal prior to leaving.

Ugh, all-in-all, I don't feel like seeing a movie about some rich white lady trying to spend her way out of an already envious life.