December 14, 2009

Let's Applaud This Baby Name

I'm not sure what this has to do with feminism, but Kourtney Kardashian has had her baby, and it actually has a really cute name! She and her partner called it Mason Dash Disick. Now, Mason is fine. I don't love the name but it's normal and not overly common, so I have no objections to it, but that middle name is awesome! Kourtney, having an Armenian last name, was presented with the problem all women with Armenian last names have. Do you hyphenate your baby's last name, despite the fact that this is arguably an act of child abuse? I mean, can you imagine someone saying to this baby 30 years from now, "Hello, Mr. Kardashian-Disick! This is your new office." No, you can't, because it's too long and those two names don't really go together. So, Kourtney taking the "Dash" from her last name and making that her baby's middle name is an adorable and elegant solution to what I previously thought was a conundrum. Now, she also could have just given the baby HER last name period, and dropped the Disick, but I guess like Ms. Kardashian didn't feel like being that revolutionary, and I'll forgive her for that.

Kudos to Ms. Kardashian and your mad baby-naming skillz. I might take a cue from Kourtney Kardashian in one day naming my own children. No, I don't think I will subject my child to the middle name of "Sahag" or "Hag," but "Ian" is a very nice name, and that could be cute!

No comments: