September 13, 2009

Two Men Kissing IS NOT GROSS!

I'm still in the process of doing six Tiff (Toronto International Film Festival) screenings in 3 days, so I don't have much time, but I must blog about this one observation. So, on Friday, I went with my mom and my little sister to the gala premiere of The Picture of Dorian Gray. It was great. I really enjoyed the film, which was a sublime adaptation of the Wilde novel that kept the spirit of the story in tact without simply recreating the book line for line, making the film redundant to anyone who'd already read the classic novel. What was most disturbing about this screening, however, was not seeing Dorion's sickly painting age while he stayed a dewy 20 years old, but the reaction to the movie's homosexual kiss between Dorion and Basil.

So, if you've read the book, you know Basil has the hots for Dorion. There is this scene in the film, where, in an effort to distract Basil, Dorion kisses him. It's a manipulative act of self-preservation that manipulates how Dorion knows his friend feels about him, so in that respect, it is an uncomfortable moment, but what I was not prepared for was for about a third of the audience to scream, "Ew!" Why is watching two men kiss so repulsive to so many? This is Toronto, one of the first major cities in the world to have know gay marriage, so if people are that homophobic here, it does not bode well for the rest of the world, in my opinion.

How far have we really come in 2009 when a fictitious kiss between two men can elicit such a heterosexist response? The answer is, not fucking far enough!

No comments: