September 6, 2009

Loving on Lilly

I know a lot of my blog entry titles alliterate. This is just part of who I am. I had a childhood quest to make the whole world alliterate. I have an alliterative name, and I always felt very sorry for people who didn't back when I was 5 or 6 or 7. I was convinced their names just weren't as good because they didn't alliterate. I vividly remember learning what alliteration was for the first time. I asked my mother, "What do you call that when two words start with the same letter?" She replied, "That's alliteration." To which I replied, "I love that!" It's definitely still my favourite literary device to this day.

Anyway, I love Lilly Allen, and I love that my love for her can manifest itself in alliteration. To be sure, Lilly is flawed, but she admits that she's flawed, and that's what makes her so great. Watch a video here where Lilly talks all about how much she hates consumerism and new celebrity culture, and yet still participates in it. Lilly is self-reflexive and somewhat self-loathing, and it's just so rare to see a celebrity be that real. Gotta love a girl who can critique herself! Although, I do wish she were a little more confident. Confidence is feminist-sexy.

No comments: