July 18, 2009

Happy Anniversary to Broad Spot!

It's our 365th post, and it's been about a year since we started "broad spot", so happy anniversary to us! I have therefore decided to compile a list of my top 5 most interesting moments (for feminism) of this first year of broadspot. Just think - this time last year, we didn't even know who Sarah Palin was! Let's celebrate this milestone by having some good, old-fashioned feminist fun, shall we? I have compiled a list of my favourite dance party songs that I personally find empowering as a woman and as a feminist. I'll be celebrating with this playlist tonight before going out in London, for sure.

1."Murder on the Dance floor" by Sophie Ellis-Baxtor.

Love this song! It's from the early noughties. It's kind of about a public dance off (I think). My friend D. engaged in one of those at a night club in Covent Garden last night. It was pretty legendary.

2. "New In Town" by Little Boots.

It's kind of an ode to good times in the recession. Even without money, there are places where "the music plays for free." We can still try to enjoy life.

3. "Competition" by Dragonette

It's about being a femme fatale and a mistress. I'm not endorsing being a mistress here, but I'm sick of people blaming the woman when a man cheats, so I'm happy that Dragonette is singing about this topic without shame.

4. "Womanizer" by Britney Spears

Everyone needs some totally mainstream pop in their playlist, and truth be told, I think this is good song by pop standards. It's catchy and it's about a woman who doesn't want to be dicked around - cool!

5. "Teenage Kicks" by Nouvelle Vague

It's a bit mellower than most songs I like to dance to, but it's a fun little ditty and it's good for a break from super fast-paced tunes on the dance floor. It will make you nostalgic for your teen years and three minutes, and that's fun sometimes.

6. "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga

As soon as I found out Gaga says this song is about her personal experiences with bi-sexuality, I thought it was incredibly cool! Your poker face is the face you make when you're having sex with a man but thinking about a woman. I like it!

7. "Boys, Boys, Boys" also by Lady Gaga

It's probably the most infectious song from her debut album. It's all about having a good time and fooling around with guys for fun but not looking for a commitment. It's a good song for gearing up for a night out on the town.

8. "So What?" by Pink.

Any girl who has had a break-up recently should have this on her play-list. It's all about surviving and having fun after the demise of a serious relationship. It's up-beat, loud and overall awesome. All of my friends who've listened to it post-break-up immediately felt about 15% better for a bit.

9. "Too Drunk To Fuck" also by Nouvelle Vague.

This is a good one for the end of the night. It's about being, well, too drunk to feel like having sex, and so saying sorry, but no dice to the guy trying to hook up with you. I like it - the chick in the song is drunk, but not so drunk she's going to let people take advantage of her and do something she doesn't want to do.

10. "Closing Time" by Semisonic.


Okay, while it's not anti-feminist as far as I can see, I get that it's not a super feminist song. I just like it. It's a good song for the night, as it's literally about a bar closing down, but it's also about more than that. It's about trying to feel a little less lonely for a little bit. That's why so many people go out and drink and dance and party to begin with, so I find it a touching song. Call it cheesy if you must, but I think it's a classic!

No comments: