May 9, 2009

Kids are Like Essays - You like them better once they're done...

I have always wanted babies. I don't know why. I've considered that it might be narcissistic, but really, I'm not sure if I want or will have biological children, as I really could just as happily adopt. I don't have a deluded idea about child-rearing being fun, either. I have two younger siblings, worked as a camp counsellor with 4 to 13 year olds for three years and have worked teaching sometimes difficult teenagers how to debate for 5 years. I have been exposed to kids of every age in large doses, and let me tell you, I've had them kick me, scratch me, tell me they hate me, run away away from me and grope me. It's not great fun. Raising kids is NOT great fun for anyone. I know that, and yet, and yet, I REALLY WANT TO DO IT.

Why do I want to do it? Maybe partly because I live for stories to tell and interesting life experiences, and, like losing your virginity (Which also always isn't that much fun), it seems like a life experience most people have and can discuss. Having kids (and I don't want to alienate anyone who doesn't have them, because I think that's a totally cool choice) seems like a very common theme in the human experience, and I want to know what it's like.

Also, having kids is probably like writing an essay, I figure. You get all excited about your topic at first, thinking about what it'll be like, and then when you actually have to do the research it's tedious. You assume it'll be better when you get to writing it, but it's just so hard to make it come out right. But then, when it's done, and it's not half bad, you're happy with what you've brought to the world. It's full of decent ideas that could just make an impact! I think that's what having kids is like. And, since I'm a grad student, the sadistic pleasures of writing essays clearly appeals to me.

One more reason I want a baby; I want to name it Octavia. Great name, right?

For more on having babies and whether it makes you happy, read this Leah McLaren article here. It's really note half bad.

No comments: