January 15, 2009

Blame it On My Body?

I'm not commitment-phobic, I'm just curvy! The Globe and Mail has published an article about a University of Texas study that says women with hourglass figures are more likely to be unsatisfied with their current partner and try to trade up "should the opportunity arise!" That's because our hormone levels are different - am producing these increased levels of hormones are caused by my breasts, hips and ass? Yeah, the article is vague on that.

But like, seriously, I'm not sure if I like essentialist, biological explanations for ANY element of women's behaviour. Isn't there a nurture argument for their study's findings as well? Like, for example, if you have an hour-glass figure at the time of the test, it means you haven't done anything to change that body you were naturally born with, and therefore are more comfortable with it. If you have more body confidence, chances are you might have more overall confidence, which could make you choosier overall about your partners because you realize you deserve someone great. Is it just me, or is that not a totally possible explanation? Women who are naturally pre-disposed to be hour-glasses but dieting or used extreme-exercise to banish that body type aren't part of this study of women who appear curvy, so is it not possible that if you gather heterosexual body-confident chicks of ANY body type, they'd all be a pick picky when it comes to men?

Maybe it has nothing to do with my hormones. Maybe it's just that I think I'm great! If you want to weigh in on the article, read it here.

No comments: