November 5, 2008

WTF? Reflections on Proposition H8

So, proposition H8 passed in California. What I want to know is, who the fuck are these people who hate gay people so much they actively want to strip away the right to marry that they have ALREADY BEEN GIVEN? The level of hatred and bigotry that MUST exist in California in order for this to be the case DISGUSTS me. Why do the heterosexists care SO much about gay marriage? Why does it make them happy to make gay couples so unhappy? Why do they have to thwart the progress of gay rights at every turn? If you don't believe in gay marriage, no one is asking you to get one - Got it? You can personally believe that all homosexuals go to hell and your belief that this is true is not affected by the gay couple next door to you being married. What the fuck is it to you if they have a marriage license or not?

So, while America is congratulating itself today on being progressive with the election of Obama, let's remember all those gay people whose right to be a husband or a wife no longer exists. I want to love America. I want to love Americans, too. I really do. And I'm sure not all Americans are homophobes. I know many myself that I truly believe even in their secret thoughts would not have considered voting for proposition H8, but there aren't enough of these Americans. As a country, America needs to revolt against hate. Stand up for love, and with it, for gay marriage. Come on, go to the streets, yanks! Go to the streets and demand equal rights for gays!

So, today, more than I have been for a long time, I'm grateful both for being a Canadian and for residing in the UK - both places where gay love isn't seen as something so sinister it must be legislated against....

No comments: