November 3, 2008

Maybe I Just Shouldn't Read Perez Hilton...

Again, Perez Hilton has pissed me off! Why, Perez, does the first lady have to look good at all times as you assert? Why is that part of her job? The first lady is not a fucking beauty queen. Her job is not to piss off diplomats and be an ambassador for the US. Just because her husband wants to be president does not mean that now her only job in life, even if she has young children and lots of other responsibilities like Michelle Obama, is to look hot for the cameras. Would you ever say about Obama that he has to look good at all times, because he's going to be president, Perez? I know Americans seem to hate on first ladies like Hillary Clinton who were more than just a pretty face, but really, why does a woman suddenly have to become a beauty queen just because her husband won the electoral college?

All I'm saying, Perez, is that you suck with the double standards. First, Sienna Miller's a whore but her married lover gets off scott-free, and now it's the first lady's job to look good at all times while her husband just has to be smart. And don't tell me it doesn't matter what Perez says, people. He gets more readers than OKAY magazine. Then, when celebrities question his stories or rude comments, like Lilly Allen or Avril Lavigne, he tries to ruin them. This man is influential, and he's totally "bringing sexism back" in the media (not that it ever left, or anything). I'm going to try to stop reading him. I don't want to increase his ad revenues. Chauvinists do not deserve to make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for blogging about their woman-hating beliefs in a coffee shop!

At least I still have laineygossip.com. She's wittier than Perez and less sexist, even though sometimes she does apply the double-standard too, but far less so. Of course, I could always just NOT read celebrity gossip to avoid being confronted with all this media bullshit regarding the sexist way women are portrayed, but I have my pop culture vices and this is one of them I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to give up. I'm only human! Laineygossip is like herbal cigarettes - she's not as bad for you as Perez, even though, at the end of the day, you are still smoking....

No comments: