November 4, 2008

God Bless America (Like, For Real. I mean it)....

As I write this, it's 3:47 am in the fucking morning. I cannot watch this American election ANY longer. I WILL NOT be able to stay up long enough for the West Coast Results to come in, and consequently, I'm not going to know who the president is until tomorrow (Well, actually, as I write this, Obama's lead is so great it looks almost impossible it won't be him). Still, what I want to say is that despite being raised by incredibly Anti-American parents, tonight, as I watched the American election with several Americans in my residence hall, I got what they love about their country. No, I don't think it's better than my country. And I also think their policies are WAAAY worse at the moment. Still, what they love is the endless hope that things will get better in America, that its future is strong no matter what is in its present. There is nothing wrong with such faith, as long as you put the work into making the country better.

Tonight, an black American peer of mine said, "No one thought we could do it. No one thought we could elect a black man president. And yes, we still have problems with things like race, but look how far we've come in the last 45 years!" And you're right, you've come along way, baby. The country that only elects Christian white dudes is no longer the country that only elects Christian white dudes. And while that doesn't erase the racist, sexist, homophobic and classist American present, here's hoping it signals those yanks are ready for a major change. To reference Obama, what I have decided I love about Americans is the audacity of their hope. The whole world hates them right now. The whole world blames them for the credit crunch, the war in Iraq's failure, the War in Afghanistan's failure, climate change, and countless other ills. And to an extent, we're right. They are the global superpower; they have had a hand in all these things, but millions of Americans who voted for Obama believe they can turn this around. They believe they can make it better. I don't know if they can, but I love that they think they can, because I hope that means they'll start trying....

No comments: