August 25, 2008

Conclusion

My Olympic Boycott, Completed.

Well, it was hard. I'm not going to lie. I don't even really likes sports, so I thought it would be easy to do this boycott, but the Olympics is really more of a nationalistic competition that uses sports as a dick-swinging contest between nations. Literally. Why do you think there are so many more male sports than women's and then men's sports get so much more air time? But, as nationalistic dick-swinging competition, it's easy to get caught up in the Canadian medal count, and want to watch Canada beat The States or Russian or China at something to prove we aren't inferior. It was hard to abstain from such viewing. It was hard to resist watching the rowing or the kayaking. And, even though he's not Canadian, just a superhuman dreamboat, it was REALLY hard not to watch Michael Phelps.

At the same time, I'm sure the fact that the Olympics were on didn't make the Genocide in Darfur any easier for people there to live through, and the Olympics actually made human rights in China worse! So, I'm not sure how much my boycott accomplished. The ratings for the Olympics were in fact phenomenal, but at least I didn't subject myself to their "Brave New China" propaganda....Also, while the ratings were great, I'm happy I at least didn't make them one television set greater. I'm just a little bit proud of that. I know it didn't do much, but at least I accomplished my goal; at least I completed it!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some TV to watch. Now that the Olypmics aren't dominating our air waves, I can veg out in front of the television once more!

No comments: