July 24, 2008

विओलेंस अगेंस्ट वूमेन इस नोट cool

^The above title means "violence against women is not cool." For some reason, I could not get the title to write in English. I kind of dig the symbolism of the title being in Hindi though, because this is an issue that transcends cultural, ethnic and linguistic barriers.

I would like to start by saying sorry we haven't posted in a while. The work week takes its toll, but I digress. The point of this post is what happened to my friend that made posting hard this week for me in particular.

I was dealing with a sad situation where a good friend of mine and of this blog was stalked and abused by a co-worker whom she had dated briefly, but with whom she had broken up weeks before the stalking started. When I told my own co-workers about this, most were sympathetic to her situation, but another replied, "Cool." Excuse me? What kind of a jackass do you have to be to think violence against women is cool? I replied, "So-and-so, what the fuck?" He was told off. I later felt bad for having sworn and been quite so harsh, so I said, "I'm sorry I swore at you, but what you said was insensitive and someone needed tell you that." After this, Said co-worker went around telling people I was rude for having called him on his bullshit. when everyone else told him I was in fact right, and violence against women is no laughing matter, he just said that I was more sensitive than he and that his personality is naturally more flippant. In short, he felt I should just "deal with it."

What kind of world do we live in where 22 year old boys with university educations think violence against women is funny? What are they being taught in school? I am now very pessimistic about the world. Can we really have made much progress if I have to work with jackasses like this? The good news is, however, I have three other male co-workers, and the rest of them were horrified by my friend's story. But still, one in four men thinking violence against women is "cool" is not cool.

So, ladies, this was a wake-up call for me. Feminism has much work to do. We have many people left to educate. This post is dedicated to jackasses everywhere who think women being hurt and harrassed is "cool." We feminists are coming to get you. We are coming to get you and to educate you; we're going to set you straight - and that's not a threat, it's a fact. Even if I single-handedly have to hunt down everyone of you myself, it will be worth it....

PS. My friend is doing quite well, considering what she went through. She is currently safe (knock on wood) and getting over her trauma with the help of friends and family.

No comments: